I’m from Idaho, so naturally, I love me some potatoes, but sweet potatoes? Well, they take my potato lovin’ self to a whole new level. Unfortunately, I HATE cooking them. Stab them with a fork, wrap them in foil, then bake them for up to an hour?!
Ain’t nobody got time (or patience) for that…
One of my favorite ways to cook sweet potatoes isn’t in the oven. I love slicing them up, adding some spices and veggies, then sautéing them on the stove top.
This recipe is simple. Delicious. And most importantly, it’s healthy. Boom. Trifecta.
This recipe was inspired during a quick weekend visit to see my best friend. She made it for breakfast one morning and it was delicious (Thanks for the idea Brooke!).
Simple Sautéed Sweet Potato & Veggies
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes (I removed skin but you don’t have to)
- 1/4 red onion, sliced into strips
- 1 cup broccoli (can replace or veggie of choice)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- onion powder to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Add EVOO to a large saute pan. Turn heat to low. Allow EVOO to cook for a few minutes.
- While EVOO is heating up, slice (and peel if you so choose) sweet potato, onion and broccoli.
- Once EVOO starts to sizzle (be careful, don’t burn it!), add onions, sweet potato and garlic. Turn heat to medium. Allow them to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broccoli, spices, and bread crumbs. Allow to cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft and starts turning brown.
- Turn heat off. Add butter (optional) and stir until butter is melted and has coated veggies.
- Taste (the best part). Add any additional spices to your desire!
I served it alongside store bought (don’t judge me) Macaroni and Cheese and sliced bread with melted butter.
A well-rounded, healthy (okay, minus the store bought mac & cheese) and delicious meal. Oh, and it takes 15 minutes! Better than waiting around for an hour, don’t you agree?