Bruschetta is one of those super easy appetizer dishes that people always love. It’s colorful and full of flavor – cleansing your palate and perking up your taste buds right before your meal. It’s also a great way to enjoy some of my favorite flavors of summer – which is just around the corner (or never left for some of us…).
All you need to make bruschetta is fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, a red ripe tomato, olive oil, s & p (salt & pepper) and a baguette.
The key to good bruschetta is to keep adjusting it to taste – once the mixture is all prepared, taste it and add more sea salt, pepper, vinegar etc. as needed. One of the best things about cooking is the tasting! 🙂 I swear, 90% of my dinner is consumed as I’m standing in the kitchen. Bryan constantly asks me when I sit down with my plate, “is that all you’re having?” And I reply, “I ate most of while I was cooking it!”
Inspired by: SimplyRecipes
- 1.5 cups roma tomatoes (other types would work too), chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt,adjust to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small handful basil leaves, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 12 small slices of mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1/2 of a baguette (we used French bread), sliced on diagonal (about 25 pieces)
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, placed in small bowl
Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium sized bowl combine extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, chopped tomatoes, black pepper, basil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar. Mix well and set aside. Take your baguette and slice 1” pieces. Cut the cheese (teehee…) and place on top of baguette slices. Place slices on a lined baking sheet, taste bruschetta mixture and adjust to taste. Add mixture on top of slices. Place in oven for about 5 minutes – or until bread starts turning brown and toasting! Serve immediately.
The recipe is not exact! Most of my cooking is like this actually.
I even got crazy and added fresh avocado slices on top. Bryan and I love avocado so I’ll add it to just about anything. 🙂
Hope everyone is enjoying their week so far!