I (we…sorry, that was selfish of me..) did it. WE survived another week. I don’t know about you, but it was a “ruff” (vet tech pun) one for me – I blame it on the fact that I am no longer in IdaHOME and I also blame it on some not-so-pleasant people I had to deal with this week. Needless to say, one thing I’m really trying to work on is my attitude.
I’m starting to realize more and more that when I get stuck in these ruts, that I really get stuck – I am grumpy, I don’t want to do anything (except watch Netflix), I stop going on my walks, I’m not very nice to people (poor Bryan), and for what? Because I’m having a rough day? Well, take it for what it’s worth, but being grumpy doesn’t solve anything. It only makes things worse.
We all have them. I’m sure, at some point in your life, you’ve used the term, “I’m stuck in a rut.”
A few things I do to help get myself out of the inevitable rut are spending time with the pups – animals just have a way of making you realize that some sh*t simply doesn’t matter. As long as they get fed, have a place to sleep and get some love every once in awhile they are happy. Why can’t we all adopt this attitude?
Cooking. I love cooking.
Sometimes I forget how much I love it until I pour myself a glass of wine, turn on some music and plant myself in the kitchen for a few hours. I forget about everything but my task at hand – and sometimes this is a very important thing to do!
The recipe I want to share with y’all today helped get me into the kitchen, get me out of my rut (momentarily), and turned out to be delish!
I call that a triple whammy.
Corn Fritters with Avocado-Lime Salsa. Vegetarian
Yield: 2-3 servings
Inspired by Happy.Healthy.Life
For the Fritters:
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn kernels
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional but highly recommended)
- 3 T white flour
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Avocado Salsa:
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 2 T sweet onion, diced
- 1 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil (for the pan)
- Drain corn and add to a medium sized mixing bowl. Portion out 1-2 Tbsp of kernels for folding into the batter later.
- Add the kernels (about 1 1/4 cups), the water and the egg to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into bowl.
- Fold in the flour, salt, pepper and optional nutritional yeast. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the reserved whole corn kernels and the diced onion. If adding in cheese, fold it in now.
- Warm a skillet over medium-high heat and add enough extra virgin olive oil to a lightly coat the pan. This is a very gently fry. If you want to add more oil and do a heavier “fried” fritter, DO IT!
- Add a large spoonful of the corn batter to the warmed pan and smooth out a bit. Allow to cook 2 minutes, then flip, then another 1-2 minutes and flip again. Keep flipping and cooking until the edges are dark brown (not burnt).
- Remove fritters from pan and place on serving plate.
- Salsa: Combine the salsa ingredients in a small bowl and toss well. Scoop the salsa over top the warm corn fritters to serve. Serve with hot sauce (I didn’t have any :() and a bit of fresh pepper on top and my favorite sauce.
Bryan and I agreed that these were fantastic. Fun to make too! I felt like I was having healthy pancakes for dinner. 🙂
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. And if you’re in a rut, get out (or stay in) and find something that helps you get out of it. 🙂
And don’t worry…I promise to share some more IdaHOME pictures soon!