It’s been a “ruff” week in our household…
It started Tuesday night when Buddy began projectile vomiting…
(If you hate vomit stories, now is the time to stop reading…but don’t worry…the story has a happy ending. And who doesn’t love a good happy ending?)
Bryan came home Tuesday night to a large pile of vomit on the couch – he was kind enough to send me a picture.
I honestly didn’t think much of it because Buddy and Lily have always had sensitive tummies and have often been thrower uppers.
But when the vomiting continued for most of the night and well into the next day, I grew concerned. Lucky for me (as you know), I know a few good veterinarians. 🙂 So Buddy came with me to work the next day.
Unlike most dogs, mine hate it when they find out where I work…
And they hate it even more when I bring them there.
The veterinarian checked him out and luckily didn’t seem too concerned, so after some anti-nausea medication, bloodwork and a day of cage rest Buddy began perking up.
Sigh of relief. Things were looking up.
Until I came home to this…
I screamed upstairs to poor Bryan who was enjoying a nice shower.
“BRYAN! What the Hell happened to Lily’s face!?”
Clearly the poor thing had gotten into something that tried to eat her face off. Bryan was kind enough to run to the pharmacy to grab some Benedryl (yes it’s safe to give dog’s Benedryl…).
Oh, have I mentioned how wonderful Bryan is? Well, this is me mentioning it…
Bryan. Is. Wonderful.
The Benedryl seemed to help with the facial swelling but soon after the swelling went down, Lily started projectile vomiting.
At this point I was convinced there had to be something in the yard that they were getting into but we searched and searched (we were literally outside in the dark with flashlights) and found nothing. So they either ate all the evidence, or my theory was wrong.
Luckily, Lily’s vomiting episode didn’t last long and this morning she was back to herself again. Buddy still isn’t 100% but he did eat this morning so that’s a big step in the right direction.
And poor Baxter?
He’s just sick and tired of Buddy and Lily being so sick and tired.
Now that everyone is feeling better again, I decided it would be a good day to share with y’all my favorite recipe for Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats.
You remember? The ones I mentioned back in February? Only to so rudely never share the recipe.
Honestly, I didn’t want to share the recipe until I knew the treats were a success! And after some canine rave reviews, I’d say it’s time to share.
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Yield: Uhhh lot
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add a small amount of flour (about 1/4 cup) at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead the dough, on a lightly floured surface until it comes together (I used a large cutting board). Roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.*
- Let cool completely.
- Store in fridge or freezer if not consumed in a few days – since they don’t have preservatives, they will get moldy.
*Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the treats. Serving size will also vary depending on the desired shapes and cookie cutters used – but this recipe makes uhhhh lot of treats.
These are the easiest homemade dog treats ever. Easy peasy, and SOOOOO much healthier than store-bought!
Miss Lily loves these treats. And miss Lily is happy to have her appetite and face back. 🙂
Cheers to a new day! And no more vomiting…