Some of my favorite recipes are the most simple ones. It’s easy to get caught up in making meals with several ingredients, but some of the best meals only have a few! Like this Sweet Peanut Butter Oatmeal.
Cook. Swirl. Eat. It’s as simple as that.
Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfast dishes. I’m not sure why. Perhaps because it’s warm and comforting. Or maybe because it’s so versatile and you can make every bowl taste so different!
This oatmeal is packed with rich peanut butter, a hint of cinnamon and banana and some honey for some added sweetness. It’s been a rough few weeks for me, so this oatmeal has been my go-to comfort food first thing in the morning.
Sweet Peanut Butter Oatmeal
Yield: serves 1-2
Adapted from Happy.Healthy.Life.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)
- 1 T honey (or pure maple syrup)
- raw or roasted peanuts, chopped (for topping)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- warm non-dairy milk, to taste
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 banana, sliced
- Make oatmeal according to package by adding 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 cups of oats and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the oats are fluffy. You might need to add an extra splash of water to the oats. TIP:
- Add the peanut butter, optional vanilla and honey to a small bowl. Warm in the microwave for 15 seconds, then briskly stir them together to get a soft, melted sweet peanut butter.
- Stir half of the melted peanut butter mixture right into the oatmeal – just a light swirl in, it doesn’t have to be completely dissolved.
- Scoop oats into your serving bowl. Swirl the remaining peanut butter mixture over top the oats as desired. Sprinkle each serving with cinnamon and add chopped peanuts and sliced banana. Add a splash of the warmed non-dairy milk to taste. You can also drizzle additional honey over top to serve. All the toppings can be added to taste.
- Serve warm. Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat to serve.
Side note: I am loving this new rug I got a few weeks ago! Not only does it look great in my kitchen, it also makes a good background in most of my photos. The only bad thing is, I have to put dishes on the ground in order to get my shot(s) and the dogs are sick of being teased!
Lily thought she was getting an entire bowl of oatmeal the other day! Clearly, she was not happy when I took it away and ate it myself. 🙂 Ha. I think she’ll live.
Hope everyone is having a good week so far! Today was my day off and I spent a lot of time in the yard. You’ll be happy to know that I checked off another item off of my Things I want to Accomplish list!
That’s right…I planted a garden.
I planted pepper, cherry tomatoes, cilantro and lavender. It’s a work in progress but it’s a good start.
I even had some helpers. 🙂
Some “help” they were…
Have a great night y’all!