Let’s talk mangoes.
Why? Because Bryan and I have a mango tree that is producing fruit so rapidly that I can’t keep up with it – y’all know how much I hate wasting food!
Some of you may have seen on my Facebook page that I asked for suggestions on what to make with these juicy beauties.
And trust me, there are waaaay more than two. These two were just the most photogenic. 😉
While I loved all of your suggestions – especially wine, sangria and margaritas of course! I ended up doing something totally different. I made muffins.
Why? Because I don’t feel like Mango Muffins are a popular “thing.” And by golly, they should be.
Eating mangoes gives you a tropical feeling without ever having to leave the kitchen. And who doesn’t love that feeling first thing in the morning?
I know I do. And I live in Florida. So you northerners better get to work and make these muffins!
Mandy’s Mango Muffins
Yield: 18 muffins
Lightly adapted from Food.com
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or regular flour)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup organic sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cup mango pulp from 2 very ripe mangoes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut & peel the mangoes (make sure they are soft to the touch) & reduce to soft pulp and juice.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine oil, milk, and egg.
4. Mix wet ingredients with dry until just moist. Stir in the mango pulp.
5. Fill greased muffin tins, or paper muffin cups about two-thirds full with muffin mixture. Sprinkle with more sugar (optional).
6. Bake on 400°F for 15-18 minutes.
7. They are finished when they are starting to turn brown around the edges & a tooth-pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
A great way to include some fruit in your morning muffin!
These muffins are super moist (ugh I hate that word) and not too sweet, so they make a hearty and healthy breakfast muffin.
What is your favorite muffin flavor?
I love all kinds, but especially Blueberry and Chai flavored.
I hope everyone is having a nice weekend so far! I worked yesterday morning at the vet clinic and I went over to let these munchkins out (dog sitting again…).
Then, I spent some time with my pups – I often feel guilty because I spend so much time watching other people’s dogs that I feel like I neglect my own!
They seem to be doing just fine. 🙂 And yes, that is Buddy on the counter, he loves watching me make Green Smoothies. Don’t judge me…
Finally, I want to say Happy Mother’s Day to ALL of the mommas out there – the ones lucky enough to hug their kids or talk to them today. The moms-to-be. Those who have been looking at old pictures or visiting graves today. The ones who desperately wish to be moms. And let’s not forget, moms with fur babies. Celebrate YOU & where you are.
This little lady is my momma and I love her to pieces – 5’1″. Selfless. Inspiring. An amazing cook. An amazing mother & wife. I wouldn’t be half the woman I am today without her. I’m lucky to call her mom and I’m lucky to call her my best friend. Happy Mother’s Day Mom.
Oh, and P.S….Bryan gets home tomorrow. 🙂 Squeal.