I have a confession: Bryan and I have been eating a lot of store-bought blueberry muffins for breakfast…
Big confession, huh?
Well, it is for me, because I hate admitting that. Why? Because homemade muffins are so simple to make AND so much healthier for you because you can leave out all of the preservatives. But hey, doc said to gain some weight, right?
I kid. I kid.
In an effort to save money and not be wasteful, Bryan and I have been really trying to eat every last bit of food in our refrigerator and cabinets before I make another trip to the grocery store – something we have always been pretty good at, but could still use a little work. But now that I’ve gotten a taste of the delicious store-bought Aldi Blueberry Muffins, I can’t seem to go a single morning without waking up and craving one…
Luckily, I had all of the ingredients to make what I have deemed the Almost Perfect Blueberry Muffin. I know, nobody and nomuffin is perfect, but I can confirm that this muffin is pretty darn close.
Made from whole wheat flour and fresh blueberries. So delicious.
Almost Perfect Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Lightly adjusted from NYT Cooking.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (the not so healthy, but essential part)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 2 T sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Stir until combined and add vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add creamed mixture and milk. Stir.
- Crush up some of the blueberries with a fork (leaving some whole), and add into batter. Line muffin tin, or spray with cooking spray and fill 3/4 way with batter. Sprinkle sugar over the tops and bake for 28-35 minutes until tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
I served mine with melted butter and a bowl of Greek yogurt with more blueberries and peanut butter. Because, there’s no such thing as too many blueberries. 🙂
Hope everyone is having a good week so far!
This guy is…
Y’all know I can’t go a single post without an animal pic…:)