Hi y’all! Man, it’s been a whirlwind of a week, but I’m finally getting back into a routine after being gone for 9 days.
Oh how I long to be back in Costa Rica…
Nestled between mountains and surrounded by forests, wetlands, the Pacific Ocean, scarlet macaws, sloths and toucans…
But I must admit, it’s nice to be home…
Kind of. 😉
At least the pups are happy. 😉
Anywooo, we ate pretty healthy in Costa Rica, but we had to eat out almost everyday, so one thing I really did miss when we were gone (besides the pups) were home-cooked meals.
When we got home last week I made us this delicious taco salad…
I realize that when most people think of taco salad, they assume it has ground beef or chicken, but not this salad (duh, I’m a vegetarian:) )… and I assure you that nobody will miss the meat in this colorful, zesty salad.
Vegetarian Taco Salad.
Yield: ~5 servings
Adapted from Eatingwell
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can sweet corn frozen
- 3 tomatoes
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice (can cook ahead to save time)
- 1 15-ounce can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed (I used pinto)
- 1 T chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2½ cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
Additional (optional) toppings: avocado, more salsa, sour cream
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion & corn. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion begins to brown. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining ½ teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and ⅔ cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese. Serve topped with sour cream, avocado, more salsa and lime wedges.
It’s good to be back in my colorful kitchen. 🙂
Hope everyone is having a wonderful week! Oh, and guess what? The wedding is planned! So exciting. Can’t wait to marry my best friend (such a cliche I know!).