Bryan is gone for a few weeks so I’ve been trying to get my quinoa and kale consumption in – he’s not a huge fan of either, especially kale.
What the kale Bryan?
I actually love kale, but I admit, I haven’t been eating much of it lately…I blame Bryan. That’s what he gets for not being here to defend himself. 🙂
I also love quinoa. Bryan doesn’t mind it, but I don’t think he loves it quite as much as I do. I could eat it daily….hourly…minutely…(is that even a word? well, it is now).
On Monday nights I usually get off work by 5pm (which is early for me), so this is my night to cook a nice meal. This week I decided it was time to kick my quinoa and kale craving and the recipe I came up with was BOMB DIGGITY! Pumpkin, Quinoa, Kale and Cheese! What more can you ask for?! I was honestly a little surprised by how well it turned out! 3o minutes from start to finish, healthy, light and fluffy and cheesy…
Parmesan Pumpkin & Kale Quinoa
Yield: serves 2 (if you can share…)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked (1 cup cooked quinoa)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1.5 cups veggie stock, low sodium
- Dash sea salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1/4 + 2T cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 large handfuls kale, rinsed & stems removed
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, preheat medium skillet on low – medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin puree, veggie broth, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat and add quinoa and kale. Stir gently to combine. Adjust thickness with extra veggie broth if desired. I like my quinoa saucy and hot. Top with more cheese if desired. Serve hot.
I might have to make this again tonight because as I’m looking at these pictures, my mouth is watering…
And if the recipe wasn’t enough, here is an adorable photo of a sea turtle hatchling that I took during surveys on Tuesday.
All work performed under state permitting. Sea turtles are an endangered species and protected under federal law. Obstruction or harassment of any endangered species is punishable under federal law. Please respect our local wildlife.
And if that isn’t enough…you’re on your own!
Hope y’all are having a good week so far.